UPDATE: I misinterpret the date of 1 letter on this sequence and posted this 14 April 1912 postcard earlier than the 19 March 1912 postcard. So, go the my submit for the 19 March 1912 card first right here: . Then, come again to this one.
submit continues translation of letters and postcards in Yiddish (and,
typically, Hebrew and slightly little bit of Russian) despatched
to Morris Lederman, who immigrated to america in 1910. Many of the postcards, corresponding to this one, had been despatched by Morris’ father Levi Yitzkhak. For additional background, see the primary submit on this sequence.
For hyperlinks to different posts on this sequence, scroll to the underside.
is an artwork. Any feedback or
clarifications by Yiddish and/or Hebrew audio system/translators are
welcome. Regardless of one of the best efforts by a proficient translator, there are
all the time locations the place the handwriting is difficult or the that means
Firm title printed on deal with facet [side 2] of the cardboard:
Жарской Лесной Дачи и Лесопильн Завода Zharskoy Forest Dacha and Sawmill
Mr. M. Lederman
108 Blossm Road [Blossom Street]
U.S. of America
14 April 1912 (Russian/Julian date), Baranovka
Translation by Esther Chanie Dushinsky
[Notes in blue as well as those at the end of the post are
mine. For ease of reading, I have
added paragraph breaks in the translation.]
April the 13/26 1912 [April 13 was Julian (Russian) calendar date. April 26 was the date in the Gregorian calendar – the one in use then (and now) in the United States.]
My pricey and beloved son, who’s as beloved to me as my very own soul, Mr. Moshe – Shalom – Mordekhai, ought to dwell. Thanks that you just despatched us the letter. You merely revived us all.
I am unable to start to explain the ache and aggravation that we skilled as a result of we did not hear from you your complete time. The Pesakh that we had, your mom, ought to dwell, sadly did not eat or drink, and that is how your complete Yom Tov was.
We solely acquired your letter the following week on Monday. I wasn’t dwelling anymore at that time, and mom despatched it to me.
You write within the letter that you just need to know why I do not write to you. You’re in fact my baby, true. However imagine me that additionally it is disagreeable for me, however merely I’m very busy right here within the forest [?]. I merely do not have time. However God forbid it is not for every other purpose. I’ve nothing towards you, my baby. God ought to assist us that we should always see one another and see a lot nakhus from you.
Zavil is dwelling now, almost definitely mom wrote to you. God must have a little bit of mercy on him already and present him an indication, a state of affairs.
To begin, we’ve not moved but to Baranovka. The hindrance is that we won’t get a wagon. The way in which may be very unhealthy now, mud. Faiga already rented an condominium in Baranovka for us. Nu, over the summer time. There’s a neighbor within the shtiblakh who will solely proceed after Succos.
Moshe’le, you wrote about sending cash. You requested the place to ship it to. We shall be shifting to Baranovka, so you possibly can ship it to my deal with in Baranovka.
I’m asking that you just write to me about what is going on on with you, each element, solely the reality. How a lot cash do you’ve gotten, and different particulars which might be necessary. Write about your ideas on every thing.
Moshe’le, ship us the deal with of uncle Yakov. We do not have his deal with and that is why we’ve not written to him in an extended whereas.
Most significantly, Moshe’le, what’s certainly the story as to why you have not written in such a very long time? Why? What is going on on that you just, Moshe’le, mustn’t write usually? Your complete city of Annopol went loopy in Bais Midrash, on the market, very single individual didn’t ask greater than whether or not your letter arrived. Day after day.
Your father that loves you and worries about you.
1. Pesakh = Passover. Yom Tov = Jewish vacation
2. Morris’ mom (Levi Yitzkhak’s spouse) and daughter had been nonetheless residing in Annopol. It’s not completely clear the place Levi Yitzkhak had been working (i.e., I’ve not decided the place Zharskoy forest was), however he seems to have been residing close to Baranovka – the place is daughter Feiga lived together with her household.
3. Zavil or, extra accurately, Zanvel, was Morris’ older brother. He had been in Ekaterinislav (in the present day Dnipro) working and looking for work at a residing wage.
4. A shtiblakh is a small room put aside for prayer. On this case, it’s exhausting to know whether or not Levi Yitzkhak actually meant there was a shtiblakh as a part of the home or that there was a really small room rented by a 3rd get together. In 1912 (the Hebrew yr 5673), Succos (aka Sukkot) was 25 September to 2 October.
5. Jacob Simberg (Morris’ maternal uncle) lived in New York Metropolis and Morris lived with him and his household for a lot of the time he was in Manhattan.
6. Bais Midrash a corridor for the research of Torah, distinct from a synagogue.
Posts on this Collection
#Letters #Levi #Yitzkhak #Lederman #April